Thursday, November 3, 2011

I Just Received Great News About My Brother

I just received the best news imaginable from my brother. He visited an expert neurologist today and was told that the initial diagnosis from his MRI was wrong and he does NOT have neurological damage, nor any signs of Lou Gehrig's disease. He is still chronically ill as he has been for the past five months, and they still don't know exactly what is wrong with him, but at least he is NOT facing an imminent death sentence.

Needless to say, this news is like a 1000 pound weight being lifted from my shoulders. My family was so certain that my brother faced the very worst that my father when talking on the phone with me this past weekend broke down and cried for the first time that I can remember since my stepmother died 15 years ago. I guess I should be really pissed off at my brother's first doctor who put us all through this week of sheer emotional hell, but instead I just feel immensely relieved.

Once again, I would like to thank everyone who sent their best wishes this week, both on the blog and at the Silent Country and Hubbert's Arms discussion forums, offering such fantastic words of support. It really meant a lot to me and served as a reminder that there are still plenty of great people in this world.

8 comments:

  1. Look at it this way; that first doc got him to this expert and now maybe they can find out what is wrong with him.

    I'm so grateful that is isn't ALS and I hope they find some answers soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Joan - it's the weirdest thing. They had been treating him for Lyme disease, which sometimes gets confused with ALS and weren't having any luck, which is why they conducted the MRI. Basically, they're now back at the drawing board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A reprieve! I'm so glad for you and your family. Remember, you can't be a passive patient and expect the health care system to provide automatically. Sometimes you have to be an active advocate and demand diagnosis and treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best doggone news I have heard all day. Thank God! Thats great Bill. I still wish you and your brother the the very best and hope for the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news, indeed, Bill. Hope they find out what is wrong and have him back on his feet soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How does that never-ending knot in your stomach feel now?
    What good news for your family.

    ReplyDelete